A 41 year old man rented a house in Berlin and few hours later decided to set up an inflatable mattress. He spotted a leak on it and decided to repair the makeshift bed with a makeshift tool.
He used tire sealant in order to repair the hole as if he was fixing a tire problem. All went good, up until he started the electric motor in order to pump up the mattress. It’s believed that a spark interfered with the liquid sealant and ignited the propellant. The explosion threw the man across the room, blew out windows and ripped doors off their hinges. Even roof tiles were dislodged. The consequences of the explosion were far more expensive than simply buying a new mattress would have been. It’s no wonder he fled after the explosion occurred.
What’s the lesson here? Next time you decide to use makeshift tools, be careful with what you’re doing. You might literally blow up your own home.