Sleep deprivation can lead to numerous health problems but here are some of the most common ones you will encounter, unless you spend 6-8 hours hugging the pillow every night.
1. Sleepiness is depressing : people who continuously experience lack of sleep or suffer from any kind of sleeping disorder are very likely to develop depression resembling symptoms. It’s quite difficult to fight both insomnia, which is the most common sleep disorder, and depression as each of them worsens the other. However, the positive thing is that sleep disorder treatment will also benefit depression symptoms.
2. Sleepiness makes you forgetful : if you want to keep your memory sharp, remember to always get plenty of sleep. “Sharp wave ripples” have been proven responsible for strengthening memory through transferring learned information in the long-term memory storage. These waves only occur when a person is in the deepest stages of sleep.
3. Losing Sleep Can Make You Gain Weight : when you don’t sleep enough during the night, you usually find yourself more hungry the next day. If this happens regularly, it can easily lead to obesity.
4. Lack of sleep ages your skin : when you experience lack of sleep, your body doesn’t produce enough growth hormone which is directly associated with tissue repair. That’s why most people have puffy eyes and dull skin after several nights of missed sleep.
5. Lack of sleep may increase risk of death : according to results of a British study, published in 2007, people who have slept for five hours or less during a 20 years period have doubled their risk of death from variety of reasons, most common among which is the cardiovascular disease.