In March 2013 Forbes Magazine published its annual list of “hip-hop wealthiest artists”. Not there are any big surprises this year as the list consists of pretty much the same names it did last year. P. Diddy has managed to climb to the top one more time.
1. P. Diddy : $580 million; The rapper real name is Sean John Combs and he was born in Harlem, New York in 1969. He is also a producer and actor and has his own clothing lines “Sean by Sean Combs” and “Sean John”. The artist who has won three Grammy Awards and two MTV Video Music Awards is currently the richest figure in hip hop.
2. Jay-Z : $475 million; Shawn Correy Carter, as Jay-Z’s real is, is a famous rapper, record producer and entrepreneur. He was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1969 and got married to pop diva Beyonce Knowles on a secret ceremony in 2008. They had a baby girl named Blue Ivy Carter in 2012.
3. Dr. Dre : $350 million; The rapper’s birth name is Andre Romelle Young and he was born in Compton, California in 1965. He is currently the CEO of Aftermath Entertainment and Beats Electronics which he has also founded. He has helped many other rappers start their careers among which Snoop Dogg, Eminem, 50 Cent,Xzibit, The Game and many more. Dr. Dre was ranked at 56th place on Rolling Stone magazine’s list “100 Greatest Artists of All-Time”.
4. Birdman : $150 million; The rapper’s real name is Bryan Williams and he was born in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1969. Also famous with his other stage name ‘Baby’, he has recorded many tracks with American rapper Lil Wayne which has contributed to Birdman’s popularity. The rapper’s fifthe studio album will be released in September 2013.
5. 50 Cent : $125 million; Curtis James Jackson III was born in Queens, New York in 1975. The now world famous rapper had a tough teenage years being involved in drug dealing and suffering 9 shots after an incident back in 2000. Luckily, he was later found by Eminem who took him under his wing and that was the beginning of 50 Cent’s career.