Horror movies are scary enough as it is but here are some facts that are even scarier. However, if you happen to know any others that give you the creeps, feel free to share.
1. The Exorcist : the person who played Father Dyer is actually a real priest named Reverend William O’Malley who teaches English and theology in a Bronx school, New York. When asked about the movie reverend O’Malley explains that the story is 80% true but happened in Maryland.
2. Psycho, Texas Chain Massacre and Silence of the Lambs : they were all inspired by serial killer called Ed Gein.
3. The Blair Witch Project : the movie budget was barely $22,000 but it a $240 million box office success. It was shot in 8 days but took 8 months to edit. What is most creepy about it is the fact that the three main actors were reported missing before the movie was even released.
4. Carrie : Sissy Spacek, the main actress, didn’t want to “harm the continuity of the movie” so she spend three days in the “bloody” clothes and even slept with the fake blood on her face during the 3-day-shoot of the prom scene.
5. Psycho, 1960 : the stuff used as blood in the shower scene was actually chocolate syrup.
6. “The Cellar Door” : James DuMont, the main actor in this low budget horror movie, once attended a child’s birthday party where the clown that was hired for entertaining the guest was actually the famous serial killer John Wayne Gacy.
7. Final Destination 3 : the roller coaster used in the movie is an actual attraction in a theme park in Vancouver, Canada and is known as the Corkscrew. The actors rode it 26 times just to shoot the premonition scene.
8. Poltergeist : the skeletons that emerged from the pool while Diane is searching for help are actually real.
9. Scream : when Nave Campbell and Drew Barrymore talk on the phone to Ghostface they are really speaking with the actual person who voiced the character. As they had never met the guy before the filming, it added some real tension to the movie.
10. Nightmare on Elm Street : the character of Johny Depp is lying in bed listening to the radio when the DJ suddenly announces that the name of the song is KRGR which is basically Krueger spelled without the vowels.