One 12 year old boy managed to save his own little sister’s life thanks to a TV advertisement.
Ty Rees, a 12 year old from Gloucestershire, UK, was watching TV in his mother’s home when his little sister, 2 year old Star, walked into the room choking on something. The boy had seen St. John Ambulance’s TV ad called Chokables, which is part of a campaign that’s trying to teach both kids and adults on how to cope in a situation, in which another person is choking on something.
Fortunately, Ty had memorized the instructions given on the ad, so he was able to place his sister on his knee face down and to give her several blows on her back while he was screaming for help. As soon as his mother Marie and her boyfriend Kevin heard the screams, they immediately ran to help the boy and repeated the actions. As it turned out, the girl had swallowed three coins of 5 pence and had chocked on them. Her brother’s actions had dislodged the coins from her throat and she was able to spit them out without suffering any injuries. The 12 year old’s actions had saved his sister’s life all thanks to the TV ad.
The kids’ mom, Marie, commented on the case and shared that as soon as Star was born she had made Ty watch Chokables. At first the boy had been unwilling to watch the advert, since he thought he would never be left alone with his sister. He couldn’t have known he would find himself in such a situation, but Marie had been pressing him to watch the video. Fortunately, the advert’s instructions came back to him when he needed them and helped him save Star’s life.