You might find it hard to believe, especially if you didn’t pay attention in Chemistry class, but there is a chemical element which can melt if you take it in your hands.
The element is called Gallium after the Latin name of France (Gallia), which is the home country of the man who discovered it – Lecoq de Boisbaudran. Gallium is a soft metal, which appears silvery and brittle at low temperature. However, it melts at 29.76 °C, which is very close to room temperature. If you take a piece of Gallium in your hand and hold it long enough, it will melt to a pool of silvery liquid.
Gallium is used in order to make alloys that melt at low temperatures. It’s also used in microwaves, infrared circuits and high-speed switching circuits. Gallium nitride produces blue and violet light-emitting diodes, also known as LEDs, which have become popular in the leisure industry in recent years. Another practical use of Gallium is the alloy of gallium, indium, and tin in medical thermometers.
Gallium’s chemical properties might sound cool, but its fumes are highly toxic.