Honey is a naturally-produced sweetener used for thousands of years and valued for its numerous health benefits. As scientists have found and proven many of the supposed and claimed properties and advantages, modern medicine has started using it for treatment of various conditions and including it in numerous products and medications.
Eating honey is recommended by many nutritionists and experts but babies shouldn’t be given honey. Why is that if it is so beneficial for our health? Honey is rich in C. botulinum, a bacterium that causes botulism. The condition is very rare but it can have a fatal outcome. People suffering from botulism experience inability to control various muscles in their bodies. The common symptoms include loss of facial expression, inability to control chewing, swallowing and eye movements, difficulty breathing, etc.
Adults can normally deal with the Botulism bacteria that produce the botulinum toxin, but infants can’t process it, so they shouldn’t eat honey.