Electronic cigarettes are supposedly much safer than smoking tobacco, so one man was shocked when his e-cig caused a fire at his home as it charged .
The 22 year old Keirran Francis, his girlfriend Samantha and her 4 year old son were having dinner at Francis’ house. The kid heard a firework-like bang while passing near the fridge, and just seconds later, the exploding cigarette blew up the kitchen. It turned out Francis had put his electronic cigarette on the fridge to charge. When the e-cigarette exploded, it caused £250 (more than $400) worth of damage to the man’s kitchen, damaging the floor, kitchen units and window sill at the house in Neath, near Swansea. Even though the man managed to put out the flames, he is still in shock at how the explosion had just missed his partner’s son.
According to official reports, nearly 1.3 million smokers in the UK prefer to use electronic cigarettes as a substitute for tobacco smoking.