James Cameron’s Avatar was lauded as the cinematic event of a generation. The 3D blockbuster’s effects were unprecedented, and so epic that they may have even cost a man his life. Literally. Mr. Kuo, who was identified only by his last name, got over-excited during an Avatar screening in Taiwan. It was reported that the man had history of high blood pressure problems and the 3D effects took their toll on Kuo. He began feeling unwell during the movie and was later taken to hospital. By that time he was already unconscious. Reports state that he passed away 11 days later. The medics ruled a heart attack as the cause of his death.
According to several reports, 3D screenings trigger sickness, nausea, over-excitement, headaches and most likely blurred eye sight. And since Avatar’s 3D effects were overwhelming, to say the least, Mr. Kuo’s unfortunate case could well have been a severe reaction to the on-screen events.