1. Phytoplankton supply most of our oxygen.
It’s every breath that we take one of these ocean plants has been producing our oxygen! Which the majority is from organisms which are tiny, called phytoplankton!
2. 86% of the world’s species in oceans is yet to be discovered!
And in this 86%, it’s thought that species which are to be discovered could be the scariest of all. It’s thought that there are a total of 8.7 million species, many of which are in our scary oceans.
3. 99% of the ocean is still undiscovered.
And only 5% of the floor of the ocean has been, to an extent, mapped out. With over two thirds of the Earth being oceans, this gives us 65% of the Earth to be explored – that’s thousands, possibly millions of years worth of exploration!
4. The myth which was the giant squid.
Until sighted in 2001, the giant squid, which is part of the Architeuthidae family was a pure myth. And boy, can it grow big! Potentially growing to be 13m long for the females, you wouldn’t want to get too close to one! It’s habitat was also sighted a few years later.
5. Mt Everest might be the biggest overland structure. But there’s greater under the surface.
A volcano in the Pacific Ocean, has it’s base deep in the sea. When measured from right at the bottom, this makes it the world’s tallest inactive volcano at 10,210m. That’s how high planes fly!