With the release of Fast & Furious 7 just behind us, and the terrible tragedy which happened during the filming of this, Paul Walker has had a lot of press recently. He was a great guy, and a hero to many, and so here are some facts about him, which aren’t so well known!
1. Walker started out in his acting career as a toddler. This was when he was in a TV commercial for Pampers in 1970s.
2. Not much later, when he was only 11 years old, he was seen as a natural on screen, and so was working in television. This included ‘Highway to Heaven’, ‘Throb’ and ‘Touched by an Angel’. All of these before even doing the movies!
3. Paul’s first movie came out in 1986. “Monster in the Closet” – at only 10 years old, this definitely sounds scary!
4. Despite his successful acting career by then, he decided to go to the California community college, and did a major in Marine Biology. This was his first love, despite his acting career, and from this, he partook in projects for National Geographic.
5. Meadow Rain Walker is Paul’s daughter, and he was an extremely loving father. It’s said that his daughter was one of the reasons he kept acting, often taking her with him when having to travel around!
6. Paul had many great friends, including co-stars from the Fast & Furious franchise. Some of his closer friends were known to him as his brothers. He was also spoken about as Vin Diesel’s other half.
7. Walker’s father was a champion of ‘Golden Gloves’. Not only his father, but his grandfather, Billie Walker, was also a boxer.
8. He did jiu-jitsu, a Brazilian style martial arts sport. Which he had a brown belt in! At Walker’s family memorial, he was presented with a black belt as an honour.
9. Paul’s love for cars didn’t stop in Fast & Furious. In real life he adored cars, and competed in a racing series, ‘Redline Time Attack’.
10. Paul would always help others as much as possible. In Haiti he started a charity, ‘Reach Out Worldwide’ which is still working worldwide to help those who’re experiencing the turmoil of a natural disaster. He even put a military veteran’s wedding ring on his tab at the jewellery store!
11. Vin Diesel’s daughter was named after the tragic accident. Obviously not Paul, but rather Pauline.
12. His friend in the car crash, Roger Rodas, has not received the same attention Walker has, but he was a competitor, and co-owned a business with Walker, which customised cars. They were actually on the way to a fundraiser for ‘Reach Out Worldwide’ when they had the car accident.