Depression is a serious condition. Here are 10 facts about it that you should know:
1. It has been found that depression damages the nerve cells in the front part of the cerebral cortex: a part of the brain responsible for optimism. The condition is overcome after the cells are restored.
2. By 2030 depression will be the second highest cause of medical disability after HIV/AIDS.
3. The American Psychiatric Association has created a rating of the most depressive factors.
4. It has been estimated that about ¾ of the US population uses antidepressants.
5. Women are at greater risk to suffer from depression because of the hormone estrogen.
6. Depression is associated with low bone mineral density. Women with depression often suffer from osteoporosis.
7. Abraham Lincoln had suffered from chronic depression during his whole life. The condition was triggered by the death of his first love.
8. About 15% of the people suffering from depression commit suicide every year.
9. Over 6% of children have depression and about 4.9% suffer from major depression.
10. People with depression suffer from colds more frequently than other people.